Tuesday, October 14, 2008

narrative paradigm

This is my last entry for the week, continuing my discussion of key points you should know from the chapters for this week's quiz. Today I'll focus on Chapter 23, the Narrative Paradigm of Walter Fisher.

What's not to like about Chapter 23? Human love to tell stories and that's what this approach is all about. Based on Fisher's assumption that people are narrative beings appeals to reason are fundamentally stories. Fisher argues that a paradigm is a conceptual framework. The rational-world paradigm assumes that people make decisions on the basis of argument. In contrast, Fisher's narrative paradigm assumes that history, biography, culture, and character determine what we consider good reasons. Fisher argues that all stories must have coherence and fidelity. Be sure you know what these terms mean.

According to Fisher, the ideal audience is guided by humane values in determining good reasons. Griffin argues that Fisher's narrative paradigm is strongly democratic. One critic of Fisher's narrative paradigm argues that is cannot explain the persuasive power of evil stories. I found this criticism particularly interesting, because in a sense, you could consider Fisher's narrative paradigm naive. Critical theorists such as Stan Deetz certainly do, arguing that stories often reinforce the status quo in subtle ways that make them difficult to resist. So while Fisher's work is appealing and does underscore our fundamental nature as storytellers, he ignores issues of power often implicit in stories.

Let me know if this week's blog entries help you out on the quiz.

~ Professor Cyborg

1 comment:

saucysaschy said...

I really liked Chapter 23! I could relate to it so much (and I'm sure everyone else could). It is true how Fisher says that "People are essentially story tellers". (p. 302) I also agreed with the four other four assumptions on page 302. I never used to realize how much we told stories until I read this chapter. Now I am recalling all of these instances in the last week when a story has been told by me or someone else. There have been so many!
As far as your two other blogs, I think that they are really helpful and I appreciate you outlining the key points, it definitely gives me a better understanding of what to expect on the quiz. I've also been doing the practice quizzes so I think that will help too. Have a great weekend.