Tuesday, September 16, 2008

making life predictable

In the interview with Em Griffin, Dr. Berger said this in explaining uncertainty reduction theory: "The problem for all of us is that, if we’re going to act in ways that will achieve our desired goals – that is, we’ll get what we want – we have to be able to anticipate, to be able to predict what the physical world is going to do and what the people in it are going to do."

This explanation for the rationale underlying uncertainty reduction theory goes a long way toward explaining why Dr. Berger developed it. I understand the desire for predictability, but I wonder if its entirely reasonable. Can you really predict what others will do? To a certain extent, the answer is yes. But not completely. For example, I've known my spouse since 1994. I think I have a pretty good idea of his likes and dislikes. So when someone asked me if Ted likes movies such as Babe (about a pig raised by sheepdogs), I said of course not because I know he likes movies such as Terminator and The Matrix (the first one). Imagine my surprise when I found out later he really liked Babe!

Part of what makes life interesting is the uncertainty and ambiguity of our everyday interactions with others. Too much uncertainty can prove overwhelming and confusing. Too little uncertainty and you're bored and unmotivated. Some degree of prediction helps communicators navigate daily life. But achieving desired goals also calls for responding to uncertainty and developing new strategies in the moment.

2 comments:

COMM Aficionado said...

You know, I never really thought of uncertainty and ambiguity as a good thing, or something that's just a fact of life. I can definitely attest to the fact that uncertainty does confuse and overwhelm me at times, but if there were none, I would definitely be bored with monotonous days. It's the same idea that some people just like to be busy (like me!) with an extremely busy schedule. It drives me crazy at times, but it what keeps me sane!

Professor Cyborg said...

Ambiguity is part of life, but too much can be overwhelming. I try to reduce the ambiguity in my classes by providing clear instructions for assignments and mapping out the class for the semester from the first day. But I'm not always completely successful, especially when I make major changes in a class. Still, ambiguity can allow students to be more creative and figure out things on their own. For example, I told students in this class to set up their blogs on blogger, but didn't provide specific instructions--yet everyone managed to complete this task. Sometimes it's best to allow others to reduce uncertainty on their own.